Serving Southern WI & Northern IL, Janesville, Rockford, Madison, Milwaukee
In this episode of Ask the Expert, Becky Peck - a certified basement and crawl space environment expert from Badger Basement Systems, talks about crawl spaces and how to permanently solve humidity problems in the crawl space.
"Customers usually call us complaining about bad odors coming from the crawl space." That musty, foul smell is actually mold growing in the crawl space. Upon inspection, many times crawl space technicians find that the mold has begun to eat away at the structure, rotting floor joists and subfloors.
"There is a lot of organic material to feed mold in a crawl space" -- she explains. Combined with high levels of moisture, it creates the perfect breeding ground for mold.
The only way to protect the crawl space is to control moisture, and Badger Basement Systems effectively does so in five steps.
1. Drainage: Correct grading, install a drainage system and a sump pump when needed.
2. Encapsulation: Completely isolate the crawl space from the ground and outside moisture, by lining the whole crawl space with the CleanSpace system. A 20mil vapor barrier.
3. Sealing the Vents: A lot of moisture is carried into the crawl space through the vents, and because of differences of temperature, condensation problems are bound to happen on hot, humid days. Wisconsin building codes no longer demand crawl space vents and Badger installs airtight doors to seal them.
4. Dehumidification: Once the crawl space and the vents are sealed, a dehumidifier will help keep the crawl space dry.
5. Structural Repair: After sealing the crawl space, rotten wood needs to be replaced, as well as sagging floor joists and beams - which can be supported and lifted back to level by the SmartJack crawl space jacks.
Badger Basement Systems provides their professional crawl space repairs to residents throughout Wisconsin, including: Milwaukee, Madison, Kenosha, Racine, Waukesha, Eau Claire, Janesville and surrounding areas. Call or visit our website for a free inspection and quote!
our service area